Pastor Doris G. Deckard

My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States
Pastor Deckard is a native Texan and lives in Dallas with her family. She preached her first sermon in 2004 and was ordained in 2008. Pastor Deckard has continued to preach and teach at Church of the Solid Rock. She has made her life all about service and participated in many workshops and seminars, from parenting symposiums to diversity conferences along with speaking engagements. Pastor Deckard has traveled locally and internationally, preaching and singing for the Lord. She is a Partnered Ally with the University of North Texas Equality and Diversity Programs and received many awards for her various community-outreach programs and volunteer services. One ministry very close to her heart is Sand Branch. As a Preacher of the Gospel, Pastor Deckard desires to introduce more souls to Christ as she encourages others to focus more on spirituality and their relationship with the Lord. Pastor Deckard founded D. G. Deckard Ministries in 2007, a 501c3 Christian organization. She is also the founder and Pastor of Church the Solid Rock, Dallas TX; a place of worship, acceptance and spiritual growth.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

What Are You Saying?

I was reading an article [today] about preachers who were called to preach but still needing mentors.  The writer was speaking about their visit to a church that had a guest preacher.  The point of his concern was that the "messenger" was using a high pitch, rapid-fire delivery method, and felt that the preacher had picked up this style from someone else (not enough mentoring).  Perhaps the messenger wasn't inspired by God. Maybe the messenger was trying to reach his audience with something "familiar" to get an Amen.  Maybe he was yelling at the parishioners?? Instead of preaching to them, he was preaching AT them BUT wasn't saying much.  In my culture, we call that the hooping and hollering method! :-D
 
Now, some preachers use this "old-school" method of preaching and sometimes I'm entertained by it but not spiritually enlightened.  Enlightened me WITH the Word of God; something that will change and improve my life; or at least remind me of why I run this Christian race. Now that I'm older and consider myself to be wiser, I personally want to hear what thus saith the Lord.  I can go to Vegas if I want to be entertained...
 
When I preach, my goal is to reach the heart of people by enlightening them with the Word of God so that they can consider improving and changing their lives. We are ALL a work in progress...but show me some progress!
 
I'm sure the messenger was preaching and giving people a "show" but WHAT was he SAYING?  If you're called to preach (Romans 10:14-15), then preach on! Plant the SEED then GOD provides the increase (1 Corinthians 3:5-10)...but give me something for my midnight hours when I can't call on a friend. Teach me how to call on Jesus. Teach me how to recognize His voice.  If feeling sick or discouraged, point me to a scripture.  Give me something to digest (Psalm 119:11) to draw from IF my Bible is out of reach. And what does it all mean?  That's what I want to know...
 
Semantics and different preaching methods are good if you're saying something. Give me sustenance; not rhyming and wit! (if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime) Well school me on what it's like 'on the inside' (if you've been there) so I WON'T do the crime...OK..
 
Give me something that will help me along this tumultuous journey.  If I don't have access to a television or social media, then what?  I need a WORD from the Lord not a circus act.
 
You're preaching good but what are you saying? (1 Corinthians 14:19)  You're shouting good and sweating and leaning back but has that promoted changed  in people's lives? Are you promoting Jesus or just you???
 
As a preacher, I pray that I have SOMETHING to say that touches your heart and causes positive change or at least think about changing. I pray that Jesus is always lifted up where I worship and that  souls are being SAVED!!! 
 
Saints, don't just join a crowded church or movement but connect to a ministry that promotes Jesus AT that church!  I hope the preacher has SOMETHING to say from the Lord. God's Word is life so we must learn how to live by His revelatory Word!!!
 
Remember, Jesus preached to multitudes  of people but only discipled a few...and those few went on to fulfill the GREAT Commission..to be fishers of many...and draw true followers to Jesus. 
 
Be blessed saints of God and have a great rest of the week!
 
-Pastor D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive